Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Why Gore?

One of my favorite genres of film is gore/horror.  You might be wondering why I would pick such a gruesome genre to enjoy, but I can't get enough of it.  Now, there are many reasons as to why a gore film is one of the most artistic film genres, but I don't have the patience to list them all.  Here are some of my top reasons as to why gore is one of my favorite genres in the film industry.

 1.  Genuine pain, anger, and shock are hard to fake.

            - In gore films, an actor must be able to harness these emotions.  However, pain, anger, and shock are very hard to fake because most people have not witnessed them first hand.  Not many actors have gone through horrific situations in their life, so they have to be very good actors in order to make them seem as if they are genuinely feeling the emotion that the movie or drama requires.  Although I do not enjoy bad acting, I like gore because there is more opportunity for an actor to show his or her ability on film.  Unlike romance or family dramas, which even the worst actors can skim through, gore requires the actors to be good in order to produce a high quality gore film.


2. Movie and drama scripts must be good in order to let the actors shine.

            - Almost any "writer" can write a wishy-washy 3rd rate romantic comedy screen play and get it on screen.  It can be riddled with inconsistencies, clichés, and illogical reasoning, and still be able to make millions in the box office.  Why?  People like comedy.  They don't realize how bad a drama is because they've never seen anything better.  One of the most challenging genres of writing is gore.  Characters have to be rounded and have a full range of emotion.  The storyline must be logical.  In gore, there are so many emotions that the characters go through that most dramas and movies will never even touch.  Fear, lust, love, shock, anger, vengeance, bloodlust, and pain are just a few emotions that the characters can go through in just one film or drama.  In the gore drama, a writer can really show off his or her talent.

3. Graphics

            - Unlike romance, family, or even thriller dramas, gore is one of the few genres in which the graphics are extremely important.  The blood, body parts, and all the other special effects have to look genuine.  There are some aspects which are hard to fake, and (with gore) you can really see the quality of work that has been done in order to heighten the quality of the film.


Whenever my friends suggest that we watch a thriller, I usually say that I don't like horror movies.  However, that is not really true.  Truthfully, I enjoy horror movies the best.  The only reason I do not normally watch them is because I'd rather see the ones that are actually quality work instead of the Hollywood versions that are barely held together with duct tape.  If you ever see a quality gore film, I think you will understand my reasoning.  Even though there are very few wonderful films in this genre, it is worth it once you see the glory that is gore.


Tell me, what do you think about this genre
Do you love it?  Do you hate it?
What gore films have you enjoyed?

No comments: