Monday, December 19, 2011

Jewel In The Palace

Rating: *****


Genre: Period Drama
Episodes: 54
Cast: Hong Ri Na, Im Ho, Ji Jin Hee, Lee Youn Ae, Yang Mi Kyung


SYNOPSIS:
"About 500 years ago during the time of Chosun Dynasty, Korea boasted a rigidly hierarchical and male dominated social structure. Set in this period, "Jewel in the Palace" is based on a true story about a legendary girl (Jang-Geum) who became the first woman to be the supreme royal physician of her times. Despite her poor condition as a low class girl in the male dominated society, Jang-Geum overcame a series of social discrimination and landed herself as a royal cook, later becoming the royal physician, then ultimately the physician in charge of the king. She was even given by the king the title "The Great Jang-Geum". The story of her checkered life on her success and breakdown as well as her love story beautifully unfold. "Jewel in the Palace" is sure to touch your heart."


REVIEW:
Jewel In The Palace, also named Dae Jang Geum, is a very popular drama series.  Truthfully, I wasn't really that interested in it.  However, since there were many viewers that recommended it, I decided to give it a chance.  Much of the cast I've seen in other dramas, and they did wonderful.  I very much enjoyed it, even though there were some scenes I just closed my eyes.  I can watch someone cutting up a fake body, or even effects that make it look like a head has been chopped off, but I can't stand to watch someone putting needles into someone else's body.

This drama will make you hungry by showing you people making food and then will make you want to puke by hearing about what they used to put in people's medicine.  That being said, your weight will eventually balance out by the end of this drama.

The only error I saw that was a big issue was the person who made the food for the drama.  Couldn't they have picked a thinner person to represent Jang Geum's hands?  It's like she suddenly gains 50+ pounds whenever she is making food.  I know I say that I gain weight just watching them cook, but that is just ridiculous.

P.S. Don't expect this to be in any way historical.  Although it's supposed to be about the first female physician, it doesn't seem to have any reference to actual historical documents.

What did you think of this drama? Comment below!


tubeobsessed.blogspot.com

No comments: