Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tempted Again / Tamna the Island


Rating: *****

Genre: Period Drama
Episodes: 16
Cast: Seo woo (Jang Beo Jin), Im Joo Hwan (Park Kyu), Pierre Deporte (William Spencer), Lee Sun Ho (Yan Kawamura)


"The drama is based on a manhwa with the same title. Tamna the Island is set in 17th-century Joseon times as a young English castaway, William, comes to the island and meets Jang Beo Jin, Park Kyu, and Yan. The name "Tamna" refers to what is now called Jeju."

I've glanced over this drama many times and was never really interested in it. To be completely honest it has just about the most boring synopsis in the world. However, I really enjoyed it. I was surprised how much I loved it. Now normally I would take off points if it had cultural references that weren't around back then. Considering it was very consistent, though, I'll let them off. The script was very fun and the plot wasn't stressful like some dramas are.

On another note, I found the names pretty funny. William mistakes "Beo Jin" for "virgin" and "Park Kyu" for "f*** you" in the beginning, and every time after that I kept hearing his versions of their names. It was pretty amusing. In any case, this is definitely a drama to check out. It may have a boring synopsis, but it's a really wonderful story.

No comments: