Thursday, September 2, 2010

Road Number 1


Rating: *****

Genre: Korean War, Romance, Drama
Episodes: 20
Cast: Choi Min Soo, Kim Ha Neul, So Ji Sub, Son Chang Min, Yoon Kye Sang

"Based on the events occurring around “Route 1”, which lies between Seoul and Pyongyang. The story about Officer Lee Jang Woo who finds himself in a war that he is not prepared for in order to protect Soo Yeon, the woman he has known and loved since youth. However, he is able to put it past him and he displays extraordinary survival skills, friendship, cooperation and ideology under brutal war conditions. Soo Yeon awaits Jang Woo's return, but eventually gets engaged to Tae Ho. When Jang Woo returns alive, however, Tae Ho discovers Jang Woo and Soo Yeon's unbreakable bond and feels betrayed."


I'll be honest in saying I was never really interested in this story. I was just bored one day and decided to give it a try since I heard good things about it. Well, I have to say, I'm glad I got bored. This drama is one of the best war dramas I've seen. I think a lot of melodramas get too caught up in the drama that they forget that it's supposed to be sweet as well. This drama really got a step ahead in the fact that it delivered a very balanced story. The bitterness of war and death was balanced perfectly with comradery and romance. I normally don't give melodramas the time of day, but this drama was definitely worth watching... Be advised, though, some of the scenes are very gory.

No comments: